Registrar’s services for veterans and active-duty members of the U.S. military include assistance with benefits, waivers, certification, student status transition, and more.

Eligibility for Veterans Benefits

The GI Bill® is available to eligible veterans, and to eligible dependents and spouses of veterans. Eligibility for education benefits is determined solely by the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). Essential information, including a GI Bill comparison tool, is available on the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) GI Bill website. Be sure to enter University of California Los Angeles (not UCLA) in the school field to access UCLA information.

The VA education hotline/call center at 1-888-GI-BILL-1 (1-888-442-4551) can also offer information about education benefits.

Initiation of Veterans Benefits

Students should apply for veterans’ education benefits directly with the VA. Once approved for the GI Bill, the VA mails a Certificate of Eligibility (COE) award letter to the student. A copy of this document must be submitted to a UCLA certifying official for enrollment certification.

Receiving Benefits

First-time recipients should receive their benefits in approximately six to eight weeks. Continuing students should receive their benefits in approximately three weeks.



Student enrollment must be certified by a UCLA certifying official. Only when the certifying official has the COE can the VA enrollment certification process begin. Details on this process are available in the Guide to VA Education Benefits. More information may be available on the UCLA Veterans website. For more help with certification, contact the UCLA certifying official, Ryan Redding, by e-mail; or through the MyUCLA Message Center Veterans Benefits topic.

Once the student has received the COE from the VA, a copy must be submitted to the UCLA certifying official by e-mail.

New transfer students who used GI Bill benefits at their previous institution and wish to continue using GI Bill benefits at UCLA must submit a VA form 22-1995, Request for Change of Program or Place of Training, with the COE. Dependents of veterans transferring to UCLA must submit a VA form 22-5495, Dependents’ Request for Change of Program or Place of Training. The form is also available from the Registrar’s Office.

Priority Enrollment through MyUCLA

Pursuant to section 66025.8 of the California Education Code, active members of the U.S. Armed Forces and former members who have left service (with any discharge except dishonorable or bad conduct) within the last 15 years, and who are residents of California, may enroll during the undergraduate priority pass. Veteran and active military students who currently receive GI Bill benefits are automatically assigned a priority enrollment appointment. Veteran and active military students who do not currently receive GI Bill benefits must present proof of veteran or active military status (DD form 214 or military ID) to the UCLA certifying official to receive priority enrollment.

California Residence for Tuition Purposes

Students who are not California residents for tuition purposes must pay nonresident supplemental tuition (NRST) in addition to all other universitywide and campus-based tuition and fees. The VA does not pay nonresident supplemental tuition. There are, however, options for qualifying as a resident or for exemption from nonresident tuition.

SLR or Petition

California residence is determined through review of the Statement of Legal Residence (SLR) by the UCLA residence deputy. Continuing nonresident students may petition for resident status. See the Residence Determination web page. To contact a residence deputy, see the Registrar’s Contacts web page.

Veterans Choice Act

The Veterans Access, Choice and Accountability Act of 2014 (VACAA) ensures that public universities consider recently-released veterans and qualifying family members as residents for tuition purposes. To be eligible, students must be using Post-9/11 GI Bill or Montgomery GI Bill benefits. Qualifying family members must also have a sponsoring service member on active duty or separated from active duty for no more than three years before the student’s first day of class at UCLA.

Students who feel that they have met these criteria should submit their GI Bill Certificate of Eligibility (COE) and the veteran or service member’s status verification (DD form 214, Report of Separation for veterans; a Leave and Earnings Statement, or Enlisted Record Brief [ERB] or Officer Record Brief [ORB], for active-duty military members) to the veterans benefits coordinator.

Returning to Active Duty from UCLA

A student receiving VA benefits and called to active duty must provide a copy of the military orders to the Registrar’s veterans benefits coordinator so that the VA can be notified of the student’s new status.

A continuing student who has been called to compulsory military service should notify UCLA as follows:

  • A student who has paid registration fees prior to the beginning of instruction must complete a Cancellation of Registration form.
    Follow the completion and filing instructions on the form and submit it, with a copy of military orders, in person at 1113 Murphy Hall. The student is eligible for a 100 percent refund less a $10 cancellation of registration fee.
  • A student who has paid registration fees and is called to active duty after instruction begins should complete a Withdrawal Notice.
    Follow the completion and filing instructions on the form and submit it, with a copy of military orders, in person at 1113 Murphy Hall. The student is eligible for a 100 percent refund less a $10 cancellation of registration fee.
    For guidance about how withdrawal will affect academic progress, contact the appropriate school or College academic counseling unit.
  • A student who has not paid registration fees may declare nonattendance through MyUCLA.

Returning to UCLA from Active Duty

Undergraduate Student

A student absent for one term need not provide any specific notification. Registration information is automatically generated for the next term. Check the Registrar’s Office website for enrollment appointments and fee deadlines.

A student absent for more than one term must apply for readmission. Complete an Undergraduate Readmission Application by the appropriate deadline.

Download Application
Readmission Term Application Deadline
Fall Term August 15
Winter Term November 25
Spring Term February 25

For more information about undergraduate admission for veterans, see the undergraduate admission veterans page.

Graduate Student

Anyone who has ever registered as a graduate student at UCLA, whether or not a graduate program was completed, must complete the online graduate admission application and submit the appropriate application fee. Formal application for readmission is not required of a UCLA graduate student returning from an official leave of absence, or of a currently enrolled UCLA graduate student changing from one major to another. For more information on returning to graduate programs and the online graduate admission application, see the graduate admissions website.

GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by the VA is available at the official U.S. government website.