Students who believe they qualify for an exemption from nonresident supplemental tuition (NRST) must apply for it prior to registration with their Statement of Legal Residence (SLR). If not approved in advance, students must pay the supplemental tuition. If granted an exemption, students are charged in-state tuition and fees instead of the supplemental tuition charged to nonresidents.
The UC Office of General Counsel residence website summarizes nonresident supplemental tuition exemptions and waivers. Students who fit one of the categories below may be entitled to an exemption from NRST.
Students (except nonimmigrant aliens) who attended for three years and graduated from a California high school (or attained equivalent) but currently pay NRST may benefit from the UC AB540 exemption policy. Students seeking this exemption should file a UC AB540 NRST Exemption Application and Affidavit. The application includes information about UC AB540 policy and eligibility requirements.
Applying for an AB540 exemption does not in any way alter a student’s responsibility to pay, by the campus deadline, any nonresident supplemental tuition and associated fees that may be due before eligibility is determined.
- Holder of a T or U nonimmigrant visa
- Child, spouse, or registered domestic partner of a deceased public law enforcement or fire suppression employee, killed in the course of his or her official duties, who was a California resident at the time of his or her death
- Dependent child of a California resident (Condit bill)
- Dependent or ward of the state through the California child welfare system (foster youth)
- Active-duty member of the U.S. Armed Forces stationed in California for non-educational purposes or who qualifies under the federal Higher Education Opportunity Act of 2008
- Former member of the U.S. Armed Forces, discharged after having been stationed in California on active duty for at least 366 days
- Dependent child, stepchild, spouse, or registered domestic partner of an active-duty member of the U.S. Armed Forces stationed in California
- Unmarried dependent child under age 21, spouse, or registered domestic partner of a member of the UC faculty who is a member of the Academic Senate
- Unmarried dependent child, spouse, or registered domestic partner of a full-time UC employee who is assigned to work outside California
- Graduate of a California high school operated by the Federal Bureau of Indian Affairs
- Credentialed employee of a California public school
- Amateur student athlete training at the U.S. Olympic Training Center in Chula Vista
- Recipient of the Congressional Medal of Honor and his or her children under age 28
To apply for any of these exemptions, students should complete a Statement of Legal Residence (SLR) and provide appropriate documentation. The SLR is part of the student admission process; the form may also be downloaded here.
More information about AB540 and other NRST exemptions is available. Contact the Registrar’s Office at 310-825-3447 during regular business hours.
AB540 exemption Students should submit the completed form in person or by mail, with high-school or equivalent transcripts, to a residence deputy in the Registrar’s Office.
All other exemptions Students should submit the completed SLR as part of their Statement of Intent to Register (SIR). Supporting documentation should be submitted in person or by mail to a residence deputy in the Registrar’s Office. Students using a separate SLR should also submit it and documentation to a residence deputy in the Registrar’s Office.