Each term, department staff work with faculty to determine which classes to offer. After deciding on classes and a schedule, staff enter class data and time requests into the Student Record System (SRS). A job is run to place as many classes as possible at the times requested. Schedules are adjusted to accommodate efficient placement.
Regular-session courses approved by the Graduate and Undergraduate Councils of the Academic Senate—and all related instructional activities, such as review sessions, films, special lectures, midterm examinations, optional quizzes, academic tutoring, and final examinations—have priority in general assignment classrooms over all other instruction (UCLA Extension) or activities (events, educational testing) on weekdays, evenings, and weekends.
Classroom features, such as capacity and technology, can help determine which room to request. The Registrar’s Office GA classroom inventory includes capacity and type. The Office of Instructional Development (OID) maintains information on classroom technology systems. For details, see OID audiovisual services. Information about webcasting from a classroom is available in the OID webcast FAQ.
Scheduling Time Blocks
The goal in scheduling classrooms is to provide the best fit for as many classes as possible in as fair and equitable way as possible. The following practices help to meet this goal:
- Schedule MWF 50-minute classes. MWF classes have priority.
- Monday-Wednesday and Tuesday-Thursday two-hour class start on the even hour (e.g., 8:00–9:50 a.m., 10:00–11:50 a.m.).
- Monday-Wednesday 75-minute classes follow Tuesday-Thursday 75-minute time-blocks (8:00–9:15 a.m., 9:30–10:45 a.m., 11:00–12:15 p.m., 12:30–1:45 p.m., 2:00–3:15 p.m., 3:30–4:45 p.m.).
- Don’t reserve or hold rooms; book just what is needed. Everyone needs a fair chance to schedule a room.
- Be flexible when asked to switch rooms, including classes in priority rooms.
- Spread classes throughout the day. This allows students to build their study lists and gives everyone a better chance to have classes placed. The most frequently requested hour is 11 a.m. Not everyone can be placed at this time. Be prepared to choose another time.
The Schedule Office adjusts times and locations as necessary to provide best fit for as many classes as possible.