Current Students blue bullet Prospective Students blue bullet Faculty & Staff blue bullet Alumni
Site Map blue bullet  
ruler line Schedule of Classes
General Catalog
Course Descriptions
ruler line Fees
ruler line FAQ
Technology Services
ruler line SRWeb
UCLA General Catalog 2010-11 banner graphic


Undergraduate Admission
Financial Support
Majors and Degrees
Degree Requirements
Capstone Majors
Undergraduate Research
Internships and Service Programs
Lower Division Seminar Programs
Advising and Academic Assistance
Academic Excellence


About UCLA
Curricula and Courses
College and Schools
Undergraduate Study
Graduate Study
Academic Policies

Catalog PDF

Undergraduate Study


Undergraduate Research Centers

The Undergraduate Research Centers (URC) assist students in the arts, humanities, and social sciences (A334 Murphy Hall, 310-825-2935, and in science, engineering, and mathematics (2121 Life Sciences, 310-794-4227, by supporting scholarly, critical, and creative research. The centers provide mentoring and tutorials, manage the Student Research Program (SRP), and administer research stipends and scholarships. They also sponsor three student-run publications—the Undergraduate Science Journal, Aleph humanities and social sciences journal, and Westwind literary journal; organize campuswide conferences and events; and coordinate the Student Research Forum that promotes a broader and deeper understanding of university research and helps entry-level student researchers define their place in the larger research community. See http://www.ugresearch

Center for Academic and Research Excellence

The Center for Academic and Research Excellence (CARE) provides enrichment opportunities for students majoring in the sciences, engineering, and mathematics who seek careers in scientific research and teaching and whose success through graduate training will increase the numbers of historically underrepresented individuals in academic and technological fields. CARE offers a variety of research opportunities during the academic year and summer that provides students the financial support to dedicate themselves to research. CARE programs, many sponsored by grants through federal agencies such as the National Institutes of Health (NIH) and the National Science Foundation (NSF), are for UCLA students as well as students from other universities. Offices are in 2121 Life Sciences. See

Student Research Program

Administered by each Undergraduate Research Center, the Student Research Program offers undergraduates, especially lower division and first-year transfer students, opportunities to become actively involved in the University research community. Working with faculty members on research projects, SRP students gain valuable research training and experience, as well as preparation for advanced undergraduate work and graduate school. Students enroll in course 99 in any department and receive 1 unit of course credit for each 30 hours of research completed during the term. See or research.htm.

Undergraduate Research Fellows Program

The Undergraduate Research Fellows Program (URFP) is available on a competitive basis and by application for undergraduate students who have financial need and who want to participate in two terms of research (Winter and Spring Quarters) through SRP. Applications are accepted during Fall Quarter only, and the deadline for submission of applications is November 30. See or

Undergraduate Research Scholars Program

The Undergraduate Research Scholars Program (URSP) offers scholarships from foundations, industry, and individual donors to continuing students (junior-level standing and higher). Applicants must have a strong commitment to research and must complete an honors thesis or a comprehensive independent studies project during the senior year. Applications are accepted during Spring Quarter for the following academic year. See or

Academic Research Courses

All academic departments offer undergraduate research courses that allow students to obtain academic credit for their research experiences. Students enrolled in the courses are often upper division students with Student Research Program experience. Department requirements for credit vary, but all departments require a research proposal to enroll in upper division tutorial courses and a research report to receive credit when the research project is completed. Senior students working toward honors or highest honors in many majors must complete a two-term (or more) research project that culminates in an honors thesis. Arrangements must be made with a faculty mentor before students can register for the course. See the undergraduate adviser in the department of interest for more information.

About Us blue bullet Site Administration blue bullet Campus Directory blue bullet Student Affairs blue bullet MyUCLA blue bullet URSA blue bullet UCLA Home blue bullet ©Regents UC