Catalog Contents


Academic Policies

Units and Grading Policy

UCLA students are responsible for understanding the grading policies and regulations established by the Academic Senate. Should any semantic variations exist between explanations in this catalog and regulations in the Manual of the Academic Senate, the manual prevails in all cases. Copies of the Senate manual are available for review in the Academic Senate Office, 3125 Murphy Hall.


Instructors are required to assign a final grade for each student registered in a course. The following grades are used to report the quality of a student's work at UCLA

Undergraduate Students


Passed (achievement at grade C level or better
Not Passed
In Progress
Deferred Report

The grades A, B, C, and D may be modified by a plus (+) or minus (-) suffix, to either raise or lower the grade-point average. The A+ grade does not raise the grade-point average because it carries the same number of grade points as the A grade. The grades A, B, C, and P denote satisfactory progress toward the bachelor's degree, but a D grade must be offset by higher grades in the same term for students to remain in good academic standing. An F grade yields no unit or course credit.

Graduate Students


Superior Achievement
Satisfactorily demonstrates potential for professional achievement
Passed but work does not indicate potential for professional achievement
Satisfactory (achievement at grade B level or better
In Progress
Deferred Report

The grades A, B, and C may be modified by a plus or minus suffix. The grades A, B, and S denote satisfactory progress toward the degree, but a C grade must be offset by higher grades in the same term for students to remain in good academic standing. Courses in which a C grade is received, however, may be applied toward graduate degrees.

The Schools of Dentistry, Medicine, and Law maintain their own grading codes. Students who are interested in programs in any of these schools should consult the appropriate school announcement.

Grade Points

In computing scholarship standing, a course counts as four quarter units. Partial or multiple courses are counted proportionally (e.g., one-half course is equal to two units).

Grade points per unit are assigned by the Registrar as follows:


A -
B -
C -
D -
F, NP, U

Courses in which students receive a P or S grade may count toward satisfaction of degree requirements, but these grades, as well as DR, I, IP, and NR, are disregarded in determining the grade-point average. (If an I grade is later removed and a letter grade assigned, units and grade points are included in subsequent grade-point averages.) NR indicates that no grade was received from the instructor.

Computing Grade-Point Average

The grade-point average, or GPA, is determined by dividing the number of grade points earned by the number of units attempted. The number of grade points earned for a course equals the number of grade points assigned times the number of course units. For example, suppose a student takes three four-unit courses and receives grades of A -, B -, and C+.


Grade Points
Course Units
Total Grade Points
A -
B -


To determine the GPA for the term, divide the total grade points earned (34.8) by the total course units attempted (12). The GPA is 2.9

For satisfactory standing, undergraduate students must maintain a C average (2.0 GPA) and graduate students a B average (3.0 GPA) in all courses taken at any campus of the University (except UCLA Extension).

Only grades earned in regular session or Summer Sessions at any UC campus and grades earned by Arts and Architecture and Letters and Science undergraduate students in UCLA Extension courses prefixed by XLC are computed in the UCLA grade-point average. Grades earned at another institution or in UCLA Extension courses other than those prefixed by XLC do not affect the GPA.

Other schools and agencies may calculate grade-point averages differently from the University when evaluating records for admission to graduate and professional school programs. Students should contact them about their policies in this regard.

Passed/Not Passed (P/NP) Grades

Undergraduate students in good standing who are enrolled in at least 12 units (14 in the School of Engineering and Applied Science) may take certain courses on a Passed/Not Passed basis.

By alleviating grading pressures, this option allows students to explore areas in which they have little or no previous experience. The grade P is assigned for a letter grade of C or better. Units earned this way count toward satisfaction of degree requirements but do not affect the GPA. Students receive neither units nor course credit for an NP grade.

Students may enroll in one course each term on a P/NP basis (two courses if they have not elected the P/NP option in the preceding term). They may not elect this option for Summer Sessions courses without an approved petition. Their department or school may require that they take some or all courses in their major for a letter grade. Certain other courses or programs may also be exempt from the P/NP option; consult the college or school for details.

Students may make program changes to or from P/NP grading through the sixth week of instruction (see the Schedule of Classes Calendar for exact dates); changes after the first two weeks of class require a petition (available for purchase in the school supplies section at any UCLA Store).

Certain undergraduate courses are offered only on a Passed/Not Passed basis and are designated PN in the Schedule of Classes.

Satisfactory/Unsatisfactory (S/U) Grades

Graduate students in good standing (minimum 3.0 GPA) may enroll for S/U grading in one graduate or upper division course outside the major field each term, in addition to any courses offered only on an S/U grading basis within the major. The grade S is assigned for a letter grade of B or better, but units earned in this manner are not counted in computing the GPA. Students receive neither units nor degree credit for a U grade. They may not elect the S/U option for Summer Sessions courses without an approved petition.

Courses taken on an S/U basis outside the major, and 500-series courses within the major, are applicable toward degree and/or academic residency requirements if so approved. Interdepartmental majors may not apply S/U courses to degree requirements, except for 500-series courses. Program changes to or from S/U grading may be made through the tenth week of instruction (see the Schedule of Classes Calendar); changes after the first two weeks of class require a petition (available for purchase in the school supplies section at any UCLA Store).

Certain graduate courses are offered only on a Satisfactory/Unsatisfactory basis and are designated SU in the Schedule of Classes.

Incomplete (I) Grades

Once an I grade is assigned, it remains on the transcript along with the passing grade students may later receive for the course. The instructor may assign the I grade when work is of passing quality but is incomplete for a good cause (i.e., illness or other serious problems). It is the student's responsibility to discuss with the instructor the possibility of receiving an I grade as opposed to a nonpassing grade.

If an I grade is assigned, students may receive unit credit and grade points by satisfactorily completing the coursework as specified by the instructor. Do not reenroll in the course; if students do, it is recorded twice on the transcript. If the work is not completed by the end of the next full term in residence, the I grade lapses to an F, NP, or U as appropriate. The college or school may extend this deadline in unusual cases (not applicable to graduate students).

Consult the Schedule of Classes for procedure instructions.

In Progress (IP) Grades

For certain courses extending over more than one term (identified by T1, T2, T3, or T4 in the Schedule of Classes), evaluation of student performance is deferred until the end of the final term of the course. Provisional grades of IP are assigned in the intervening term(s) and are replaced with the final grade when students complete the full sequence. The school or college faculty or the Graduate Council determines credit if they do not complete the full sequence and petition for partial credit.

Deferred Report (DR) Grades

Students may receive a DR grade when the instructor believes their work to be complete but cannot assign a grade because of disciplinary proceedings or other problems. If students are given a disciplinary DR grade, the Office of the Dean of Students assists them in resolving the problem. For graduate students, the dean of the Graduate Division sets a deadline by which the DR lapses to an F if the problem is not resolved and a grade assigned. The DR is changed to a grade, or perhaps to an Incomplete, when the instructor provides written confirmation that the situation is resolved. The DR grade is not included in determining the grade-point average.

Repetition of Courses

Certain courses, as noted in their course descriptions, may be repeated for credit. Other courses taken at the University (except UCLA Extension) may be repeated only according to the following guidelines:

(1) To improve the grade-point average, students may repeat only those courses in which they receive a grade of C - or lower; NP or U grades may be repeated to gain unit credit. Courses in which a letter grade is received may not be repeated on a P/NP or S/U basis. Courses originally taken on a P/NP or S/U basis may be repeated either on the same basis or for a letter grade.

(2) Repetition of a course more than once requires the approval of the college or school or the dean of the Graduate Division, and is granted only under extraordinary circumstances.

(3) Degree credit for a course is given only once, but the grade assigned each time the course is taken is permanently recorded on the transcript.

(4) For undergraduates who repeat a total of 16 units or less, only the most recently earned letter grades and grade points are computed in the grade-point average. After repeating 16 units, however, the GPA is based on all letter grades assigned and total units attempted.

(5) For graduate students, all courses in which a letter grade is given, including repeated courses, are used in computing the grade-point average.

Credit by Examination

Students with high scholastic standing may earn credit for regular University courses by taking examinations rather than enrolling in the courses. This is accomplished by establishing, with a UCLA faculty member, an individual plan of study which may include oral and written work in addition to other requirements. To be eligible for this privilege, undergraduate students must have completed a minimum of 12 units at UCLA. Graduate students must be registered at the time of the examination and are limited to a maximum of three courses taken in this manner.

The results of these courses are entered on the record in the same way as regular courses, and corresponding grade points are assigned. Graduate credit earned by examination may be applied toward minimum course requirements for master's degrees but cannot apply to academic residence requirements for master's or doctoral degrees.

Students need approval from the appropriate instructors, the department, and the college or school or the dean of the Graduate Division, from whom petitions for credit by examination (with fee) are available.

Correction of Grades

All grades except DR, I, and IP are final when filed by the instructor in the end-of-term course report. Thereafter, a grade change may be made only in case of a clerical or procedural error or other unusual circumstances. No grade may be revised by reexamination or, with the exception of the I and IP grades, by completing additional work. Students who are dissatisfied with a grade should review their work with the instructor and receive an explanation of the grade assigned. All grade changes are recorded on the transcript. See the Appendix for further details and procedures for appealing grades.

Class Standing

Undergraduate classification is determined by the number of units completed.


Completed Units
0.0 - 44.9
45.0 - 89.9
90.0 - 134.9
135.0 or more
In all campus units except the School of Engineering and Applied Science, students are required to earn a minimum of 180 units from all college-level coursework for the bachelor's degree at UCLA. A maximum of 208 units is allowed in the School of Nursing and School of Theater, Film, and Television; in the School of the Arts and Architecture and College of Letters and Science a maximum of 216 units (228 for double majors and special programs) is allowed. In the School of Engineering and Applied Science, the minimum units allowed are between 180 and 200 (depending on the program); 213 maximum units are allowed. If students exceed the maximum, they may not be allowed to continue, except in rare cases approved by their college or school. See the degree requirements under each college and school for further details.

Graduate classification is based on the degree objective and whether or not students are advanced to candidacy for a doctorate.

Other Academic Policies

Concurrent Enrollment and Transfer of Credit

Concurrent enrollment means taking courses for credit in UCLA regular session (Fall, Winter, or Spring Quarter) and at another college institution (including UCLA Extension) at the same time. Concurrent enrollment is not permitted except in extraordinary circumstances, and no credit is given for courses taken concurrently elsewhere without the approval of the college or school. This does not apply to UCLA Summer Sessions.

Undergraduate Students

During the summer or during a term when students are not registered at UCLA, they may elect to take courses for credit at UCLA Extension, a community college, or another four-year institution (see limitations below). The UCLA Office of Undergraduate Admissions and Relations with Schools makes the final decision on credit transferability, but it is students' responsibility to select courses with catalog descriptions similar to courses offered in regular session at UCLA. They should avoid courses that are closely related to those they have already taken, as they cannot receive credit twice for the same or similar courses. Students who wish to apply a specific course from another college toward satisfaction of degree requirements at UCLA should consult their college, school, or department counselor before taking the course.

Only grades earned in regular session or Summer Sessions at any UC campus other than UC Santa Cruz and grades earned by Arts and Architecture and Letters and Science undergraduate students in UCLA Extension courses prefixed by XLC are computed in the UCLA grade-point average. Students may, however, receive unit credit and satisfy course requirements with transferable work taken elsewhere. When they have completed the work, they must have the other college send a copy of their transcript to the UCLA Office of Undergraduate Admissions and Relations with Schools (UARS); they must also fill out a Transfer Credit Evaluation Request form at UARS, 1147 Murphy Hall.

Students who wish to receive degree credit for work taken through UCLA Extension should take courses that correspond in number to the undergraduate courses offered in regular session. The designation XL or XLC before the number of the Extension course signifies that the course is equivalent to the regular session course bearing the same number. Grades earned by Arts and Architecture and Letters and Science undergraduate students in courses prefixed by XLC are computed in the UCLA grade-point average. No degree credit is given for courses numbered X300 through X499. Remember that concurrent enrollment in Extension and regular session is not permitted.

The maximum number of community college units allowed toward the bachelor's degree is 105 quarter units (70 semester units). The UCLA Office of Undergraduate Admissions and Relations with Schools does not grant transfer credit for community college courses beyond 105 quarter units, but students may still receive subject credit for this coursework to satisfy lower division requirements. Consult the college or school counselors for possible further limitations. (To convert semester units into quarter units, multiply the semester units by 1.5 -- e.g., 12 semester units [yen] 1.5 = 18 quarter units. To convert quarter units into semester units, multiply the quarter units by .666 -- e.g., 12 quarter units [yen] .666 = 7.99 or 8 semester units.)

Graduate Students

With approval of the dean of the Graduate Division, certain courses completed outside of UCLA regular session may be applied toward the master's degree. For more details, see Transfer of Credit under Requirements for Graduate Degrees in the Graduate Study section of this catalog.

Transcript of Record

The Registrar prepares, maintains, and permanently retains a record of each student's academic work. Student files of pertinent documents are maintained up to five years following the last date of attendance. Students may view their documents in Academic Record Services, 1134 Murphy Hall, by calling (310) 206-0482 to make an appointment. Advance notice of 24 hours is required for viewing.

The permanent record is the transcript, which reflects all undergraduate and graduate work completed in UCLA regular session and Summer Sessions. It lists chronologically the courses, units, grades, cumulative grade-point average, transfer credits, and total units.

The University Records System Access Telephone (URSA) allows all UCLA students via a touch-tone telephone to obtain course confirmation, UCLA grades for any completed term, GPA, completed units, and outstanding holds (i.e., restrictions from receiving services), to confirm registration fee payment and Registration Card mailing, to update and review selected student information, and to change the security code used to access URSA. Presently students can call URSA Telephone at (310) 208-0425 Monday through Saturday from 5 a.m. to midnight, including holidays (hours are subject to change). Students can call as often as they wish. Access is given based on the nine-digit UCLA student I.D. number and the four-digit security code. The system is easy to use, explaining what to do at each step. A time limit is announced at the beginning of each call. Students who exceed the limit are disconnected. They may access the system for up to 10 years after their graduation or last term of attendance. For additional information, consult the Schedule of Classes.

As needed, students may obtain a free printout of their grades for the most recent graded term from the Registrar's Office, 1113 or 1134 Murphy Hall, by presenting their valid current-term Registration Card and a photo I.D.

To have official transcripts sent to other schools, institutions, or agencies, complete a Transcript Request form (available in the Murphy Hall North Lobby) or write to the Registrar's Office, Attn: Transcripts, 1134 Murphy Hall, UCLA, Los Angeles, CA 90024-1429. Requests must include the student name while in attendance at UCLA, Social Security number and/or student I.D. number, dates of attendance, and student signature for release.

Each transcript costs $5; additional fees apply for transcripts requiring special delivery services. Call (310) 206-0482 for prices and to make arrangements for special services. Although fax services are available, transcripts that are faxed are not considered official. Continuing students and former students with student Billing and Receivables (BAR) accounts may charge transcript orders to their accounts. Other requests must be accompanied by a check made payable to Regents-UC. Transcript fees are subject to change at any time. Requests are not processed if students have outstanding financial, academic, or administrative obligations (holds) to the University. Transcripts of work completed elsewhere must be requested directly from the campus or institution concerned.

Transcripts for UCLA Extension courses must be ordered from UCLA Extension, P.O. Box 24901, Los Angeles, CA 90024.

Verification of Student Status

The Registrar issues a verification transcript to verify fee payment and enrollment status as students are eligible. Verification cannot be issued if registration fees for the term have not been paid. Verification transcripts cost $5 each and are issued at 1134 Murphy Hall.

Verifications for loan forms and student aid guarantors are processed through the National Student Loan Clearinghouse, a nonprofit industry-sponsored organization representing schools, guarantors, lenders, servicers, and secondary markets for the sole purpose of standardizing, simplifying, and automating enrollment verifications and deferment processing. UCLA provides student enrollment verification data, including student names, mailing addresses, Social Security numbers, and enrollment status, to the clearinghouse on a regular basis. Release of this information to the clearinghouse has been approved by the U.S. Department of Education and ruled in compliance with the Federal Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA). The $5 verification transcript fee is waived for student loan requests when proof of need is presented.

Submit all verification request forms (including "good student" auto insurance discounts and health insurance verifications) to Academic Record Services, 1134 Murphy Hall. Forms for clearinghouse participants are forwarded to the clearinghouse by Academic Record Services.

Certificate of Resident Study for International Students

International students who must leave the University and the country before completing a degree or certificate program may request a Certificate of Resident Study in addition to a formal transcript. The certificate cannot be awarded if the studies involved are covered by a diploma or other certificate. The chair of the major department recommends the award of the certificate through a petition to the college, school, or Graduate Division. To be eligible to receive the certificate, students must have completed a program of at least nine courses with a minimum 2.0 grade-point average (2.5 for Graduate Division students) and have satisfactorily completed a research project over a period of nine months or more.

Registration Card

A valid Registration Card (Reg Card) is the official student identification and is required, along with the UCLA Student I.D. Card, for all University services and student activities. Students should carry it with them as they are asked to show it for student health services, library privileges, athletic and cultural student ticket rates, recreation center, check cashing, and many other campus services.

If students lose or do not receive their Reg Card, a temporary verification card (good for seven days) is issued without fee at 1113 Murphy Hall after the fee deadline for the term. After the term begins, they may replace lost, destroyed, or mutilated cards at 1113 Murphy Hall for a $3 fee. They must show proof of identity for verification or replacement cards.

If students have outstanding obligations (holds), proof of registration cannot be issued. For details on outstanding holds and initiating offices, call URSA Telephone at (310) 208-0425.

UCLA Student (Photo) I.D. Card

This card with photo is issued without charge to new or reentrant students from the beginning to the end of the first academic term and is valid with the current Reg Card. Both the Student I.D. Card and the current-term Reg Card are required for all University services and student activities.

Students need a current Reg Card and other valid identification (driver's license, passport, or California DMV I.D. card) to obtain their Student I.D. Card. There is a fee for issuing the card after the first academic term in attendance, for replacing lost or destroyed cards, and for issuing cards because of a name change affecting University records.

Change of Name or Address

Students who wish to change their name on official University records should fill out a UCLA Correction or Change of Name form (available in the Murphy Hall North Lobby) and submit it to Academic Record Services, 1134 Murphy Hall. All name changes are recorded on the transcript. If students change their address, they should notify Enrollment and Degree Services in 1113 Murphy Hall as soon as possible.

Leaving UCLA

Intercampus Transfer

Undergraduate students registered in a regular session at any campus of the University (or those previously registered who have not since registered at any other school) may apply for transfer to another campus of the University. Obtain the UC Application for Undergraduate Admission and Scholarships and submit the required application fees with the application form. The filing periods are the same as those for new applicants (see Undergraduate Admission in the Undergraduate Study section of this catalog). Applications are available from the UCLA Office of Undergraduate Admissions and Relations with Schools, 1147 Murphy Hall, Los Angeles, CA 90024-1436, other University of California Undergraduate Admissions Offices, or the local community college.

Graduate students who wish to enroll as degree candidates at other UC campuses must apply for admission to those Graduate Divisions.

Absence during a Term

Students who need to be absent from classes temporarily for reasons beyond their control should notify their instructors. Regardless of the reasons for absence, they are required to complete all coursework. If they cannot complete the work on time because the absence is late in the term or prolonged, they may request that the instructors assign an Incomplete grade (see Incomplete Grades earlier in this section).

One-Term Absence for Undergraduates

Undergraduate students who have completed at least one term at UCLA and fail to register for the following term may return to the University the next subsequent term as continuing students. Students who plan to attend another institution (including UCLA Extension) during their absence should consult their college or school counselor before enrolling elsewhere (see Concurrent Enrollment and Transfer of Credit earlier in this section). Students who are absent for two or more consecutive terms are no longer considered continuing students and must apply for readmission (see Readmission in the Undergraduate Study section of this catalog for procedures and deadlines).

Leave of Absence for Graduate Students

Graduate students in good standing may be granted leaves of absence, normally for periods of one to three terms, on approval from the appropriate department and the Graduate Division. The maximum amount of official leave of absence allowed is six terms (two academic years). Leaves must be requested before the end of the second week of classes (see Withdrawal below for fee refund procedures and more information). Request forms are available from Graduate Admissions/Student and Academic Affairs, 1255 Murphy Hall. For details on leaves of absence, see Standards and Procedures for Graduate Study at UCLA, available in the Graduate Division offices or in individual departments. Students on leaves of absence are not eligible to use University facilities (except libraries) or faculty time and cannot receive University financial support. Leaves of absence as described here do not apply to undergraduates.

Graduate students who fail to register for a term and do not take an official leave of absence are considered to have withdrawn from the University and must compete for readmission with all other applicants.


Before the first day of classes, students may cancel registration by mailing a written notice to Enrollment and Degree Services, Attn: Cancellation Clerk, 1113 Murphy Hall, Box 951429, Los Angeles, CA 90095-1429. Refund is as follows: fees paid by new undergraduate students are refunded except for the nonrefundable $100 acceptance of admission fee and a $10 service fee; fees paid by new M.B.A. and Dentistry students are refunded except for their respective nonrefundable acceptance of admission fee; for new graduate, continuing, and reentering students, a service fee of $10 is deducted from the amount of fees paid.

Undergraduates who return to the University for the following term are considered continuing students. Students who are absent longer than one term must apply for readmission (see Readmission in the Undergraduate Study section of this catalog for procedures and deadlines). If they cancel in their first term at UCLA, they must reapply for admission.

Graduate students who cancel their registration and do not apply for a formal leave of absence must compete for readmission to return to the University.


Withdrawing from the University means discontinuing attendance in all courses in which students are enrolled. Students who withdraw during a term need to file a Notice of Withdrawal, available from their academic dean's office (undergraduates) or departmental office (graduate students).

When students officially withdraw, a percentage of the registration fee is refunded depending on the date the withdrawal form is filed with the academic dean.

Claims for refund must be presented within the academic (fiscal) year to which the claim is applicable. Consult the current Schedule of Classes for policy details and specific refund dates.

Students may withdraw only if they have not taken any final examinations or otherwise completed the work in any classes. For undergraduates, one withdrawal places no restriction on readmission or continuation if they started the term in good academic standing. If they withdraw after one or more previous withdrawals or while in academic difficulty, a restriction may be placed on their continuance in undergraduate standing. Before withdrawing, they are urged to consult faculty, departmental, or college advisers to consider the full implications of this action.

Undergraduates may also withdraw from a term retroactively, provided no final examinations have been taken and no coursework has been completed. No withdrawals are accepted once they have officially graduated from the University.

Students who register and subsequently discontinue coursework or stop payment on registration checks without an approved petition for withdrawal, leave of absence, or cancellation receive F, NP, or U grades, as appropriate, for all courses in which they are enrolled for that term. A $60 fine is assessed if any check for registration fee payment is returned by a bank (i.e., stopped payment, insufficient funds, etc.). No fees are refunded, and future registration privileges may be curtailed or revoked. Transcripts are not issued if students have outstanding financial obligations to the University.

Undergraduate Students

If students return to the University for the term following withdrawal, they are considered continuing students. If they return later than the following term, they must apply for readmission.

Graduate Students

If students do not register for a term, they are considered to have withdrawn from the University and must apply for readmission when they return.

Graduation from UCLA

Approximately eight out of every 10 UCLA freshmen eventually receive a baccalaureate degree, either from UCLA or from another campus or institution. According to a recent survey of UCLA alumni, one third of all UCLA baccalaureate recipients go on to graduate school. For information on academic requirements for graduation, see Undergraduate Degree Requirements in the Undergraduate Study section of this catalog.

Undergraduate Students

The awarding of the bachelor's degree does not happen automatically but is the culmination of several steps which begin when students identify the term they expect to complete degree requirements through URSA Telephone (consult the Schedule of Classes for complete instructions on using URSA to declare degree candidacy). This must be done before students complete 160 units (172 for the School of Engineering and Applied Science) or a $13 late candidacy fee is assessed. The identified term must fall within the academic year (four quarters) subsequent to the term in which students reach or expect to reach the 160-/172-unit mark. Exceptions can be made by the degree auditor depending on the program of study (e.g., double majors).

Students may request a review of their degree progress by a counselor in their college or school office at any time. Advisers in the major department are also available for counseling on departmental requirements.

The "degree expected term" students specify through URSA Telephone is used by the degree auditors to review coursework and begin the audit of the completion of degree requirements. Students cannot graduate without such an audit. If the expected graduation date changes, update the degree term through URSA Telephone. Once students have completed 160/172 or more units, a fee is assessed each time they change the "degree expected term" through URSA Telephone.

Students who are current-term or past-term candidates over the unit limit can only change the "degree expected term" in person at 1113 Murphy Hall. They must use the UCLA Declaration of Candidacy form (available for purchase in the school supplies section at any UCLA Store) for this purpose.

Consult the latest Schedule of Classes for the deadline to declare candidacy for the current term (with fee if 160/172 or more units completed). Declaration of candidacy after the published deadline may result in a degree award date for the following term and additional candidacy penalty fees.

Students can confirm their "degree expected term" at any time through URSA Telephone at (310) 208-0425. Declaring candidacy is not a guarantee of graduation. Students who have requested through URSA that no public information (including their name) be released are not included in the program booklet for Commencement ceremonies.

Students who intend to complete degree requirements as nonregistered students (take a course through UCLA Extension or at another institution, remove an Incomplete grade, etc.) must file a request to graduate "in absentia" with the degree auditor by the candidacy deadline for the "degree expected term." Students graduating "in absentia" are assessed the special order diploma fee in addition to the declaration of candidacy fee.

Students in the School of the Arts and Architecture, School of Nursing, School of Engineering and Applied Science, and School of Theater, Film, and Television are audited for degree requirements by staff members in their respective counseling/student affairs offices and should consult them regarding questions on degree requirements and school degree audit procedures.

A computer-generated Degree Progress Report (DPR) serves as the degree check for students in the College of Letters and Science who entered UCLA in Fall Quarter 1988 and thereafter. The DPR contains a detailed evaluation of transfer credit, courses and grades for each completed term, degree requirements completed, and requirements still outstanding. Students can view and print their DPR through URSA OnLine or order one at A316 Murphy Hall.

For students who entered prior to Fall Quarter 1988, the degree check is the summary of all requirements for their degree and the courses they have taken to fulfill them. Such a degree check is conducted by the Registrar's degree auditors. Earlier degree checks may be initiated with the departmental undergraduate advisers.

A "Summary of Shortages for the Bachelor's Degree" statement is mailed to each current-term candidate who does not satisfy degree requirements that term. Students who receive such notices should contact a degree auditor immediately to discuss their expected completion of the requirements. If students expect to satisfy degree requirements in a later term, they must change their "degree expected term" over URSA Telephone or at 1113 Murphy Hall. They may be assessed applicable fees, with the option to submit payment or be billed through BAR.

Graduate Students

Candidates for both master's and doctoral degrees must be advanced to candidacy and complete all degree requirements, including the master's thesis or comprehensive examination, or doctoral dissertation, before the degree is conferred (consult the Schedule of Classes for filing deadlines). For full details on degree requirements and procedures for graduate students, see the Graduate Study section of this catalog.

Final Transcript

Official transcripts with the graduation date included are available approximately seven weeks after the end of the term. Students who require earlier proof of graduation should contact their degree auditor.

Degree Date

Degrees are awarded at the end of Fall, Winter, and Spring Quarters and at the end of Summer Session C (mid-September). For the School of Law and School of Medicine, degrees are awarded at the end of Fall and Spring Semesters. Consult the respective University calendars (quarter, summer sessions, semester) for the actual degree award date, which is the final day of the term.


Diplomas for both undergraduate and graduate students are available approximately three to four months after the degree award date. Information about obtaining the diploma in person (no fee) or by mail (with fee) is sent to students approximately seven weeks after the end of their final term. To expedite receipt of the diploma, students are encouraged to return the diploma mailer form and remit the mailing fee. Recorded information regarding diploma availability may be obtained by calling the Diploma Hot Line at (310) 825-8883. The Registrar's Office retains diplomas for five years from graduation date.

If the original diploma is destroyed, a duplicate may be ordered by contacting the Registrar's Office, Diploma Reorder, 1113 Murphy Hall. There is a fee for the replacement diploma, and it bears a reissue date and the signatures of the current officials of the state and University.


Each school and college conducts an academic ceremony for its graduates. Some of the ceremonies feature an address by the Chancellor, student speakers, and recognition of candidates who have achieved high academic distinction and honors. Check with the school or college for eligibility requirements, programs, and time schedules.

Academic regalia (caps, gowns, and hoods) are available for rent/purchase at the Campus Photo Studio/Graduation Etc. (A Level of Ackerman Union, 310-825-2587). In addition, graduation announcements with printed enclosure cards, diploma covers, and diploma mounting are available.

     Catalog Contents