The College and schools award Latin honors according to overall grade-point average (GPA) at graduation. Honors are reflected on official transcripts and diplomas. Eligible students must have completed at least 90 (98 for the School of Nursing) University of California units for a letter grade. The levels of honors are summa cum laude, magna cum laude, and cum laude. Latin honors are noted on official transcripts and diplomas.
Minimum GPA requirements for the 2017-18 academic year are as follows:
- College of Letters and Science: 3.908 for summa cum laude, 3.831 for magna cum laude, 3.713 for cum laude
- Henry Samueli School of Engineering and Applied Science: 3.907 for summa cum laude, 3.822 for magna cum laude, 3.693 for cum laude.
Also, upper-division GPA for courses applied to an Engineering degree must be 3.907 for summa cum laude, 3.822 for magna cum laude, and 3.693 for cum laude, with a minimum 3.25 GPA in major field upper-division courses. Upper-division courses not applied to the degree are excluded from these averages.
- Herb Alpert School of Music: 3.985 for summa cum laude, 3.927 for magna cum laude, 3.812 for cum laude
- School of the Arts and Architecture: 3.921 for summa cum laude, 3.887 for magna cum laude, 3.807 for cum laude
- School of Nursing: 3.908 for summa cum laude, 3.831 for magna cum laude, 3.713 for cum laude
- School of Theater, Film, and Television: 3.908 for summa cum laude, 3.871 for magna cum laude, 3.796 for cum laude
Requirements are subject to yearly change and other eligibility restrictions. Contact the College or school for information.
The highest academic recognition the College of Letters and Science confers on its undergraduate students is College Honors, which is awarded to graduating seniors who successfully complete the College Honors program and who have an overall University of California grade-point average of 3.5 or better. The program provides exceptional undergraduate students an opportunity to pursue individual excellence. College Honors is noted on official transcripts and diplomas.
See the College Honors Program website for entry and course requirements.
Individual departments and programs in the College offer departmental honors programs. Admission and curricular requirements vary according to the department or program. Consult the departmental adviser about procedures and program requirements. Students who successfully complete the requirements graduate with departmental honors or highest honors. Departmental Honors are noted on official transcripts and diplomas.